Thursday, June 26, 2008

A Hidden Beach

While I was travelling around Tanzania and Zanzibar, I realized that the one thing I missed was the water. Mbarara is known for its matoke. There are matoke plantations everywhere, literally, and since being here, I have only seen a few minor streams and rivers. However, my friend and co-worker from FAOC, Deborah, sent me a message one day telling me she was taking me to the beach. I was very skeptical at first...what beach could possibly be in Mbarara? However, once I got there, I was amazed. Hidden just outside of the city limits is a rocky area where the river flows very fast. There are waterfalls in this area and the owner of the land is converting the site into a resort and banquet center. It was really cool. Because Deborah is friends with the owner, he gave us free drinks and food. So, we drank beer, ate muchomo (goat meat...I dont know how, but I am able to eat it, well more like swallow it whole, when I have to) and watched kids fish on the river. It was a good day.




No comments: