Sunday, July 13, 2008

Anthon

I started out the day by attending church with Hilda. It was a very dynamic ceremony with loads of singing and many "hallelujahs!" I had met the pastor a few weeks ago when we treated his pigs. During his sermon, he mentioned our ability to 'heal is pigs; praise the lord...hallelujah!!" I guess I have healing powers. Awesome!

Today was also the day that we picked up Anthon and his mother, Cecilia, and took them to the orthopedic center. They are being transported to Kampala tomorrow so that Anthon can have his surgery. When we arrived at their home, there were many people from the community there. Most of the people there were helping Cecilia prepare the house and the other children for her departure. It was wonderful to see how the whole community got together to help this one family. While we waited, Cecilia had set out tea, bread, avocados and bananas for us. We ate and watched the children play dodge ball with a wound up ball of plastic bags. When it was time to leave, Cecilia loaded the boot of our car with matoke, yams and eggplant! It was really nice of her. In return, I gave Anthon a teddy bear and his face lit up when I gave it to him. It was really cute. We had a safe journey to the medical center and I hope they are both now settling in well. I am still amazed by the generosity of people here and it reinforces my desire to help them in any capacity that I can.

Anthon (looking very smart today!) and his mother:

No comments: