Saturday, July 4, 2009

Arrival

So I made it!!! I arrived in Entebbe yesterday afternoon after a relatively uneventful lot of flights. I think I may have made some progress on my fear of flying, but I think the wine may have had something to do with this! I didn't think I was going to die until I was on my flight from Addis Abba (Ethiopia) to Entebbe (Uganda) when we experienced horrible turbulence for the entire flight. Good thing it was at the end of the journey, or I may be trapped somewhere in Dubai!!! I was also lucky enough to have an additional encounter with the grumpy Air Canada flight attendant on my flight to London. If you remember my story from last year, this is the lady who refused to serve us food and who threw shoes at us when Sarah and I flew from Toronto to London. This time, she had a breakdown, complete with profanities, beside my aisle after she couldnt stack the food trays. After she dumped garbage all over the airplane floor, she started throwing things and yelling. Quite entertaining!!! At least this time, her anger wasn't directed at me! I ended up sleeping in the Heathrow Airport and the Dubai airport and arrived in Entebbe relatively free of jet lag. Everything here is pretty much the same as I left it. We spent the night at the always comfortable and reliable Green Valley Inn and spent the morning today at the Entebbe market and at the botanical gardens. I have just arrived and already I have had several people ask for my mobile number and email, etc. Ahhhh Ugandans! Now that I am with my sister, we seem to attract a lot more attention. Many people here have not seen twins before. Now that we are travelling together, I should technically change my blog name to "Nykato Lillian and Nyangoma Lola do Uganda!" Anyways, I don't have too much to report since I have been here for less than 24 hours. We are leaving for Kampala tonight so I am sure to have stories soon. We are going to venture onto a matatu with all of our luggage...scary. Oh and one last thing. I forgot just how much I missed the annoying bird and bug noises here. Trying to sleep with a choir of bugs and waking up to the "Hoo Hoo Hoohoo" noise of the doves here is truely priceless. I have yet to have matoke and g-nuts...but soon.

No comments: